Gae and John

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Around Gillette



Hi

This is my first try at posting a blog - I think that's what you say!!!??? We'll see how I go.

Here are some photos of what it's like around Gillette. We drove to Rapid City which is heading east and there really isn't a lot to see at all. It's rolling hills but not very green, I guess because it's so cold. Apparently any trees that are in town have been planted and looked after by people - once you get out of town there is nothing until you get closer to Rapid City and then you start getting into the Black Hills - that's where Mt Rushmore is. We'll be going there one day soon.

In the other direction towards Sheridan you come across the Big Horn Mountains which is very pretty. Lots of snow at the moment, so very cold. We will cross the Big Horns when we go to Yellowstone National Park so will get more photos later. We were going to go over there for the Thanksgiving long weekend, but apparently the park is mostly closed and reopens in Winter, so will wait till then.

It snowed in Gillette on Tues morning and was -6 but felt like -16 (the weather report always gives the temp and then says what it feels like with the wind). It was very, very cold. We bought jackets in Rapid City but I don't know if they'll be warm enough. I think I'll need a ski jacket. Thankfully, it's warm inside where ever you go.

Hope you all enjoy these photos - I'm sure they'll get more interesting when we start to get out and about a bit more. I've been trying to upload a photo of the front yard with snow on it, but it won't work. Sorry. I'll have to get John to have a look.

Bye for now, Gae

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home